October 22, 2021
By: Emilie Lapointe
As Halloween draws near, the beckoning call of spooky seasonal watch parties grows louder. And is any Halloween season really complete without a Rocky Horror Picture Show viewing? This 1975 campy cult-classic is a staple for many adults who have outgrown dressing up and going trick-or-treating. Instead, you can dress up as beloved characters, eat popcorn and laugh at the film’s absurdity at Film.ca.
Film.ca’s regular showtimes were put on halt last year, but, with theatres finally re-opening, the show must go on! Their October 30and 31 showtimes are back, with a few modifications to make the viewing, that usually involves a great deal of audience participation, both fun and safe.
In accordance with Ontario’s regulations, theatres were able to open their doors to moviegoers and fanatics once again with proof of vaccination. Masks must be worn, however, can be removed once seated to munch on some snacks.
Guests are asked to show up no earlier than 15 minutes before curtain call to reduce overcrowding. Despite a few more mandated protocols, once admitted to the theatre, Film.ca aims to offer a typical night at the theatre with stocked concessions and gourmet popcorn from Zuzu’s Popcorn.
If you’re familiar with the frenzy that is the Rocky Horror Picture Show, you may know that audience members often bring items to throw around (toilet paper and bread, for example), water guns to squirt during certain scenes, and they dance around the aisles for the Time Warp. This year, the experience will look a little different. Attendees are still encouraged to wear costumes and dress up as their favourite characters, but outside items aren’t allowed. Bags will be checked to ensure that guests are following the rules designed to keep everyone safe.
To avoid chaos and too much close contact, guests are also asked to reserve their seats with social distancing in mind and stick to their seat – so kick back, get comfortable and practice your seated dance moves!
What to expect for a night at the movies:
- Come prepared – You’ll be asked to show proof of vaccination upon entering so have your printed or digital vaccine receipt and government issued ID. Download your vaccine passport here before your arrival
- Complete contact tracing form before admission – Make sure to have your phone ready to scan the QR code to complete contact tracing. Film.ca will provide guests without a device with an iPad to complete the form
- Social Distancing protocols will be in place – Reserved and staggered seating as well as floor markings and signs will help guide guests and maintain physical distancing
- Wear your mask unless seated and snacking
- Help the Film.ca crew – Bring all of your garbage out of the theatre and toss it in the garbage on your way out. That way they can focus on sanitizing the theatre for the next showtime
The staff at Film.ca are fully vaccinated and committed to offering moviegoers a safe experience with more enhanced cleaning practices and their newly installed air filtration system. With these safety measures, movies are back and here to stay!
Get your tickets and reserve your seat now at http://film.ca/trailer/rocky-horror-picture-show/, that way the only thing left to sort out is which iconic character to dress up as for the big day (fingers crossed I see someone roll up to the theatre on a motorcycle dressed as Eddie).
Stay up-to-date with the latest in Oakville by subscribing to our monthly newsletter! Click here to sign up for insider info, first looks and monthly information about the best attractions, events and businesses in Oakville.