May 30, 2022
OAKVILLE – Visit Oakville will celebrate National Tourism Week by giving away $1,000 in gift cards from local tourism businesses.
The week, organized by the TIAC (Tourism Industry Association of Canada) and Destination Canada, is an opportunity for tourism partners to raise public awareness about the importance of the travel sector to the economy. The campaign theme, announced by TIAC, is “Travel Now: For Work, Life, and Play!”
Visit Oakville will give away gift cards from a variety of tourism-related businesses on its Instagram account @VisitOakville. “The contest is one way we can highlight some of Oakville’s tourism assets,” explained Rebecca Edgar, Visit Oakville’s executive director, “and it’s a fun and easy way for people to show their support for this hard-hit sector.”
Before the pandemic, Hamilton Halton Brant – which Oakville is a part of – attracted over 10 million people a year and generated close to $800 million in economic impact. With 1 in 10 full-time jobs connected to this sector, the effects of pandemics were felt my many.
Increased travel will help re-create a stable and reliable job sector to which the residents, once again, will return and take comfort in job security.
Visit Oakville has so far been supporting the recovering sector during the last few years by:
- Introducing Tourism Investment Fund in 2019 to help bring new events to town and to increase the hotel occupancies.
- Launching Talk of the Town Awards to support and promote local businesses.
- Partnering with Driftscape app to make it more enjoyable for locals and travelers to explore Oakville.
- Providing continuous updates on Visit Oakville website about the events happening in town.
Visit Oakville encourages the Oakville tourism partners to support National Tourism Week by:
- Creating a blog post showcasing their business and sharing it on social media #visitoakville, #greenmeansgo and #TourismWeekCanada2022.
- Telling your friends, family and followers about importance of tourism.
- Launching a promotion or a giveaway that encourages (delete the) visitors to explore Oakville.
- Asking their customers why they love Oakville and sharing their responses on social media #visitoakville #greenmeansgo and #TourismWeekCanada2022.
- Spreading the word to other businesses and partners.
The residents and visitors can support local tourism sector by:
- Using social media to share the photos and videos taken in Oakville #visitoakville #greenmeansgo and #TourismWeekCanada2022.
- Creating an Instagram story about Oakville and tagging @VisitOakville.
- Spending a weekend at one of the local hotels.
- Dining out at or getting a takeout from a local restaurant.
- Attending one of the events listed on the Visit Oakville website.
- Booking an entertainment experience.
- Following Visit Oakville on social media and signing up for an email newsletter.
- Inviting friends and families to join the celebration.
Get out and explore, meet up with friends and family, and enjoy all that Oakville has to offer!