March 13, 2020
Reposted from the Town of Oakville
Closure effective March 13 at 6 p.m. until April 5
All Town of Oakville Recreation and Culture facilities will close effective March 13 at 6 p.m. until April 5 in response to the COVID-19 pandemic. All recreation and culture registered programs, drop-in programs, services, events and rentals are cancelled. All Community Use of School rentals are also cancelled.
“Although we have been advised that the risk of contracting COVID-19 is low in Halton, we are implementing preventative measures to protect our residents and reduce the spread of the virus,” said Jane Clohecy, Acting CAO for the Town of Oakville. “The situation with COVID-19 is evolving quickly. The health and well-being our residents is our top priority.”
Recreation and Culture policy changes and refunds:
Recreation and Culture has relaxed some policies until further notice to allow clients more flexibility in making the best decision possible for themselves, their family or their organization.
- Refunds for cancelled program dates will be automatically issued to all Recreation and Culture programs participants without penalty.
- All Recreation and Culture memberships will be extended by the length of the closure.
- The Oakville Centre for the Performing Arts will offer refunds to ticket buyers for all events between now and April 5. Rental clients with events scheduled between now and April 5 will also be refunded without penalty.
- Facility rental permits will be amended to reflect the dates affected by the facility closures and credits placed on accounts.
“We recognize the impact these closures will have on families and facility users, but believe the safety of our community takes precedence,” said Mayor Rob Burton. “We will continue to adjust our operations according to the recommendations of health authorities.”
The three-week closure will impact the following Town of Oakville facilities:
- Glen Abbey Community Centre
- Queen Elizabeth Park Community and Cultural Centre
- Iroquois Ridge Community Centre
- River Oaks Community Centre
- Sixteen Mile Sports Complex
- Trafalgar Park Community Centre
- Sir John Colborne Recreation Centre for Seniors
- Joshua’s Creek Arenas
- Kinoak Arena
- Maple Grove Arena
- Centennial Pool
- White Oaks Pool
- Oakville Centre for the Performing Arts
- Oakville Museum
- Oakville Galleries
- Nottinghill Youth Centre
The town has implemented additional actions to help reduce the spread of COVID-19:
- Increased cleaning and disinfecting of high-touch areas in all town facilities, libraries, and transit buses.
- Provided hand sanitizers in all town facilities.
- Posted COVID-19 information in high traffic areas and digital communications.
Should you have questions about withdrawals, cancellations or refunds, please contact Facility Booking at 905-815-2000.
For more information about what the Town of Oakville is doing to manage the threat of COVID-19, visit our COVID-19 page.