September 21, 2022

Job Title: Marketing and Events Coordinator

Pay: $18/hour

Job Type: 35 hours per week, flexible schedule – must be available to work the occasional weekend.

Job Duration: 6-month contract with a chance of extension.

Location: Hybrid (The position may require visiting events and locations around town to work and take pictures. Having a car or reliable transportation is required.)

Position Summary:

Visit Oakville is an incorporated, not-for-profit destination marketing organization (DMO). We aim to drive economic impact through marketing and partnerships, curating visitor experiences and advocating on behalf of Oakville’s tourism industry.

Reporting to Visit Oakville’s Executive Director, you will provide support to the marketing and visitor experience specialists. You will assist with implementing the organization’s marketing efforts and represent Visit Oakville at local events while promoting the Town as a unique tourism destination.

Your role as a Marketing Coordinator will take up about 75% of your time. You will monitor and create content for all social media platforms, website, and newsletters and provide administrative support to the Visit Oakville team as required. The remaining 25% of the time, you will act as an event coordinator and manage the information booth at the events organized or sponsored by Visit Oakville.

Duties and Responsibilities as a marketing coordinator (75%):

  • Develop and curate engaging content for social media channels (Instagram, Facebook, Twitter), website and newsletter while ensuring that it is consistent with Visit Oakville branding.
  • Engage with social media audiences, grow following, and increase engagement.
  • Monitor social media messages and activity.
  • Update Visit Oakville website, including but not limited to updating pages, publishing blog posts and adding new events.
  • Research and write blog posts.
  • Assist with the creation of videos and reels.
  • Visit local tourism businesses to create content and/or deliver materials.
  • Provide administrative support, including minute-taking, editing documents, conducting inventory, and keeping supply lists.
  • Perform other administrative and marketing duties as assigned.

Duties and Responsibilities as an events coordinator (25%):

  • Provide exceptional visitor services
  • Greet and welcome visitors and residents.
  • Provide directions to areas within the event space and throughout Oakville.
  • Provide detailed information on/referrals to:
  • Where to eat, stay, shop, events and attractions, locations, and directions.
  • Keep records and daily log sheets.
  • Coordinate visitor surveys.
  • Maintain a safe and attractive booth at all times.
  • Transport, set up, and tear down the Information Booth (some heavy lifting is required).
  • Keep inventory of promotional materials and brochures.

Knowledge, Skills and Abilities

We are looking for an energetic and responsible individual with great initiative to join our team. The ideal candidate will have some marketing and social media experience and be interested in the tourism industry.

  • Post-secondary education in Marketing, Communications or related field.
  • Exceptional written and oral communication skills (English).
  • Excellent interpersonal skills and client service focus.
  • Ability to work independently as well as on a dynamic team.
  • Ability to manage time effectively and adhere to multiple deadlines.
  • Photography and videography skills, including editing.
  • Creative eye for design.
  • Ability to research and compile information.
  • Knowledge of MS Office, Adobe suite and Google Docs.
  • Knowledge of Canva, WordPress, SEO, and MailChimp.
  • Organizational skills and impeccable attention to detail.
  • A thorough understanding of the Oakville community is an asset.

Successful candidates will need to be available to work a flexible schedule of weekdays, weekends, and holidays.

If interested, send your current resume by and cover letters to: info@visitoakville.com by September 30th. We appreciate your interest, but no phone calls, please.