May 9, 2022
Visit Oakville is currently seeking applications from qualified candidates to sit on its Board of Directors. Submissions will be reviewed and selected by the Governance and Nominating Committee, with final approval by the Board of Directors at the Annual General Meeting on June 16, 2022.
Eligible candidates must work or live in Oakville and have a passion for the town. Previous board experience is not mandatory but is an asset.
Terms are three years with an option to renew for an additional term. Director positions are voluntary.
Priority will be given to candidates with knowledge and experience in one or more of the following areas:
- Financial management
- Nonprofit law and bylaw
- Human resource management
- Tourism product development
Expectations of Visit Oakville Directors:
- Attendance at a minimum of four board meetings per year, each approximately 60 minutes, held in Oakville and/or online.
- Availability to participate in one committee or advisory group.
- Preparation time to read and assess meeting materials, reports, research, and other resources provided in advance of Board and committee meetings.
- Participate actively and fully at Board meetings to advance agenda discussions, reach consensus, and provide strategic oversight to the organization.
- A commitment to support the development and growth of the local tourism industry and its economic impact.
- Eighteen (18) years of age or older.
- Prepared to participate and contribute expertise on a strategic level and with an understanding of operational implications.
- Able to operate within a policy-oriented governance model.
- Prepared to fulfill the Director’s role in a volunteer capacity without compensation.
- Able to contribute the required time to fulfill the roles and responsibilities of a Board Director role, in addition to other committee and task force roles.
- Committed to fulfill a three-year term of office as a Board of Director member (unless otherwise stipulated).
- Able to work in a team-oriented environment that builds on consensus and represents a diverse industry with a multitude of interests and needs.
- Willing to accept the governing By-Laws and the policies of the Board of Directors, and comply with the decision-making process, including respecting the organization’s policies and other key governance components.
- Interest in considering Board leadership positions in the future including Committee, Task Force and/or Board Chair roles.
- Participation in related professional development and governance training opportunities and initiatives as needed.
- Provide advance notice (as outlined in the policies and procedures) should the candidate be unable to fulfill their term for any reason.
How to Apply:
- Complete the online form by Friday, May 27, 2022, here https://surveymonkey.com/r/22VOBODApp
Candidate submissions are reviewed by the Governance and Nominating Committee. Phone/Zoom meetings may be scheduled.
We welcome and encourage applications from diverse perspectives and experiences.
Final election of Directors takes place at the Annual General Meeting (AGM). Candidates will be informed of their eligibility prior to the AGM on June 16, 2022.